Monday, November 18, 2013

Another painting in process


The still life scene.
I had an idea to paint some of these fancy shoes. Two of them are Jeffrey Campbell and they came in these amazing boxes. My rabbit was to be added later to give it a live element (as I have been doing). I thought a big jumble would be interesting. I removed a lot of shoes from the initial pile as it was too complicated. I was worried about even this level of complexity. The background was to be white or neutral.


The first photo I took after I roughed in the drawing and added some shading. I think I held my breath the whole time I was drawing this. It was complex enough that I was worried if I got it wrong it wouldn't go together. I started at top left drawing with a brush and cerulean blue paint. By the time I got to the grey boots, they would've been off the bottom of the canvas so I had to either restart or cram everything in there. I decided to cram it in. I planned for the rabbit on the right.


Adding some darks, working on background. With each round, I work a little all over the canvas. If I have red paint I add a glaze to the reds. If I have a dark I dawb it around where I need darks. I add all of my colors to the background in thin layers. I worked an hour or two between breaks.


More darks all over, some color added, blue shoe and black boots darkened.


More background work, boxes started. 


Rabbit added—she wouldn't pose so I tried to follow her around getting glimpses. Painted studs on small boot, more work on boxes, some work on background.


More background, more overall, grey boots filled in, more work on snakeskin boots. 


Added some shading on yellow box and added kitty cats on pink box. Repainted grey boots. 


Painted the studs, rabbit, grey boots and snakeskin boots again. Repainted blue shoe. Added face on box. Almost final. 



Final. Still needs signature.
Repainted rabbit, especially nose area, added stripes on left. Carefully painted in all the studs with several layers of paint in different colors. Fixed boxes. I am happy with how the silver shoes came out. I just kept adding paint over and over and suddenly I noticed they looked like silver. Not happy with snakeskin books. Whatever. I think it's an interesting painting. Is it tacky? Not sure about that. Let me know what you think.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home