Wednesday, October 24, 2007

juggling jobs

For many years I have had the art career and the design career running simultaneously. Then I started the design firm. Now I have teaching [Ex'pression College for Digital Arts]. And now I am writing books. There is a lot going on! (Right now I have no tv as I have no time to watch it.)

But I think all the things you do feed other things. What I learn in one arena helps in another. I started teaching as a way to become a better art director but found that I liked teaching and seemed to be good at it. I started design as a way to support my art but over the years got pretty good at it and can't imagine life without design now. I love going to work if it's teaching or designing for the college. I am in the middle of rebranding the college and that's like playtime. My friends ask me to design logos for their new businesses. How can I say no? And I'm always learning. Yesterday. I learned how to make a DVD in 'Motion' software.

But I can't imagine life without fine art. What do you have left after the jobs are done? Why doesn't everyone need to have some kind of life work such as what art provides?

If I could quit all the jobs and just go out painting every day, I'd probably find that I would still be teaching, doing volunteer work, writing books and pro bono design...and doing a lot of painting. Anyhow, I can't go painting every day.

They say "leap and the net will appear". It probably will but I can't.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home